BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 17, 2010

Welcome to Tender Tots of Missoula!

We are excited for you to join Tender Tots of Missoula, a children's service group for kids ages 2-10. We were previously located in Lakewood, Colorado, but are now beginning a new branch in Missoula, Montana (for Lakewood's group, click here, or for the branch that will be starting up in Salt Lake City, Utah, here).


On the right sidebar is a mini calendar of our tentative schedule. I will post a detailed reminder a month before the activity here on the blog as well as on our facebook page called "Tender Tots of Missoula."

While there are tremendous positive opportunities for our kids today that I never dreamed of as a child, I am concerned about the impact of materialism and overemphasis on stuff. I worry that they have too much stuff, and I'm often searching for ways to shift the focus outward. I want to find ways to involve my children and our community's youth by offering them opportunities to gain awareness and appreciation for life's gifts.

Most volunteer activities in the community are for adults or teenagers, so this is designed as a place for kids. The monthly service activities are low-key and mainly intended to generate discussion and involvement, even if on a small scale. Most of all, I want our youth to gain compassion and joy that comes from serving. I also hope to share our ideas together on the blog for getting our kids involved, excited, and empowered about giving. Please post your own comments or email me with ideas at hollyhrogers@gmail.com. And I know there are valuable lessons waiting for us, to be learned from our own little ones.

For our first activity in June, we're going to donate items to Animeals, a no-kill animal food bank and adoption center here in Missoula. Now is kitten season, so we will gather items specifically for the little cats.

Kitty Wish List:
  • Kitten replacement milk formula
  • Baby bottles
  • Wet food
  • Dry kitten chow
  • Carrier kennels
  • Litterboxes
  • Towels
  • Syringes
  • Heating pads/heated floor tiles
  • Sweet scoop litter
Unfortunately, we can't take the kids to visit the animals, but instead I'd love to have a little social at my home (email me for address) on Thursday, June 24 at 7 pm, to meet and pool our donations. But even if you can't make it then, you can drop items off at my home any time between now and June 24. Also, take a moment with your own kids to talk about animal welfare and how they should be properly treated and cared for (even if you don't have pets!).

Hope to see you soon!

0 comments: